SIAT Group (“Société d’Investissement pour l’Agriculture Tropicale”) is an agro-industrial group specialized in the establishment and management of oil palm and rubber plantations and allied processing and downstream industries. Currently, the group owns 40.000 hectares of oil palm plantations, 22.000 hectares of rubber plantations.
SIAT takes a long-term approach to strategic decision-making that recognizes the interests of every party involved. Across its subsidiaries in Nigeria, Ghana, Gabon and,Ivory Coast, Siat employs over 15.000 people, while its head office is located in Brussels.
SIAT Group's factories produce palm oil for the food manufacturing industry and rubber for the tire manufacturing industry.
The group firmly believes in environmentally responsible management. All factory waste from the oil mills is recycled into the plantation or used as fuel to generate green process steam and electricity.
The company also assists communities with education and infrastructure developments such as roads, potable water and electricity. This creates stability and commitment, which, in turn, provides security for the group’s investments.
SIAT Group is currently looking for a Legal Counsel / Company Secretary for their headquarters in Brussels.
As a Legal Counsel your main responsibilities will include:
- Providing expert strategic legal advice, fit for purpose, to the Board, the Executive Committee and senior leadership;
- Setting and implementing a legal compliance strategy (anticipating and estimating risks strategically) in a way that supports senior leadership to realize its strategy and facilitates business development;
- Setting the internal corporate policies, processes and minimal requirements for legal risk control and manage the impact of external factors;
- Developing a robust contractual framework for all contracts across the organization to ensure consistency and limit risk exposure while maximizing commercial opportunities;
- Proactive follow up of legislative changes which may impact the organization;
- Informing and advising management and staff regarding legal developments, actual and anticipated, affecting their activities;
- Serving as primary legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures;
- Conducting due diligence, drafting and negotiating acquisition agreements (including any securities necessary in that respect);
- Translating complex commercial/legal scenarios into simple language and action plans;
- Responsible for engaging external legal and other professional support as appropriate;
- Responsible for the oversight of the local legal counsels cross border;
- Ensuring appropriate service levels are maintained for the legal support services;
- Setting the legal budget and operating the legal services within the budget;
- Responsible for the management, oversight and conduct of litigation, including the monitoring of litigation budgets, the evaluation of litigation strategies and oversight of outside counsel;
- Acting as legal ambassador and create associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders.
In addition to your role as Legal Counsel, you will also act as Company Secretary. In this capacity you will provide assistance to the Board of Directors, the Board Committees, their members and the Executive Committee in the fulfilment of their roles, responsibilities and duties.
You will support the Chairman of the Board in communication between the Board, its Committees, the Executive Committeé and the shareholders. Individual directors have access to the Company Secretary of the company. If the question is a formal one, you will inform the Chairman.
More specifically, the Corporate Secretary has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Overseeing compliance, by the company bodies, with the relevant Belgian and European laws and regulations, the Articles of Association and the internal regulations of the Company;
- Continuously monitoring the relevance of the Articles of Association and internal regulations such as, the Corporate Governance Charter;
- Providing expert advice and information to the Chairmen of the Board and Committees on the evolution of Corporate Governance principles and best practices;
- The official acts of the Company and all documents relating to decisions, resolutions and discussions of the decision-making bodies of the Company;
- Ensure the secretariat of the Board of Directors, its Committees and the Executive Committeé;
- Accurately recording the essence of the discussions and decisions in the Board and Committee meetings in the minutes;
- Ensuring the practical and logistical organisation of the meetings of the Board, its Committees and the General Meetings of shareholders.
In the capacity of Company Secretary you work closely together with and report to the Chairman of the Board.
- Master in Law with an experience of 5 to 10 years in business law (with a focus on corporate and commercial law);
- Qualified lawyer in at least 1 European jurisdiction;
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills;
- Leadership skills;
- Ability to work at senior management level;
- Effective communicator and liaison, known for building (strategic) partnerships and alliances with co-workers, executives, external counsels and clients;
- A solutions-focused, senior legal and business professional, pragmatic with strong analytical skills;
- An entrepreneurial approach to delivering legal advice through alignment of commercial objectives with regulatory obligations;
- Fluent in English, Dutch and French.
At SIAT you will operate in a truly international environment, close to the business and the decision makers (headquarters in Brussels).
SIAT offers a competitive salary, supplemented with a nice package of fringe benefits.