Euroclear is a global provider of market infrastructure services that provides settlement, safe-keeping and servicing for a range of securities, including bonds, equities, derivatives and investment funds. By connecting over 2,000 financial market participants across the globe and ensuring that securities transactions are processed safely and efficiently, Euroclear reinforces the efficiency of the financial markets.
Euroclear is a people-oriented organisation with a renowned reputation in the global markets. As the trusted provider of post-trade services, Euroclear connects participants from across the globe and ensures the transfer of money and securities. With over 3,800 people based around the world, Euroclear has a culture of high performance and continuous development where every employee can grow and thrive.
As a member of the Legal Division of the Euroclear Group holding company and in particular as a member of the Transversal legal team, you will provide legal support to Euroclear.
Your main responsibilities will be to provide legal advice and support on a wide range of matters, including disputes, (potential) claims and litigation, investigations and regulatory issues. You will manage and participate to all phases of the case, from initial case assessment, investigation, and gathering of documentation to drafting responses to queries, reviewing draft pleadings, following up court cases, reviewing possibilities of settlement. While doing so you will closely collaborate with business clients, risk colleagues, other lawyers and external counsels.
A good knowledge of the financial industry is a must. During your first months, you will rotate within the Legal division in order to get further in-depth knowledge of Euroclear.
You will join a dynamic team of lawyers with a great team spirit willing to work in a good atmosphere.
As a litigation lawyer, your tasks will include:
- Assisting the business in pre-litigation phase: advise and assist in the identification, escalation and resolution of potential conflicts, claims and reputational issues;
- Assisting with drafting answers to queries / claims, determining potential liability, advising on mitigating actions, advising (internal) clients and management on the legal merits;
- Co-ordinating the fact finding, gathering of relevant documentation and ensuring follow up with outside counsel;
- Reviewing draft pleadings and summons, following up on court cases with outside counsel;
- Reporting to senior management on legal risks presented by investigations and issues and advising on an appropriate strategy;
- Closely managing and supervising outside counsel on all aspects, ranging from legal strategy to budget;
- Cooperating with the lawyers of the Legal Division within all entities of the Euroclear Group.
- Belgian qualified lawyer
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in litigation preferably in a law firm (specialized in the financial sector) or as in-house counsel of a bank, broker or other financial institution;
- Significant experience in managing internal investigations
- Significant experience in managing complex litigation and regulatory enforcement matters
- Good knowledge of Belgian law and market practices in the financial world
- Fluent in French or Dutch and English
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to effectively interact with business partners, risk partners, outside counsel
- Detailed-oriented and analytic
- Pragmatic, risk aware and capable to take initiatives
- Flexible and proactive
- Able to deliver high quality support consistent across jurisdictions, in a timely, pragmatic, cost efficient and effective fashion, and to build a solid understanding of the business of the Euroclear Group.
- Respectfully defending and expressing well-founded opinions or interests in any professional circumstance and understand their consequences
- The chance to be part of an organization that plays a key role in ensuring the stability and efficiency of financial markets globally
- The opportunity to work in a truly inspiring multicultural company
- Plenty of possibilities to learn and grow as a professional
- A diversity of complex tasks and projects where you can have an impact on the heart of the banking & financial sector
- The chance to join a dynamic team of lawyers with a great team spirit
- An interesting salary package with fringe benefits
Apply immediately with the Apply Button or contact Diether Vandenbussche (+32 477 22 95 52) for more information.
When you apply, we will keep your CV and other personal data you give us in our database in accordance with our privacy notice.